Adventures and Stuff from David

Monday, May 08, 2006

People I met: Doc Bill

Now Doc Bill, he is one of the coolest guys I know and has one of the hardest jobs. I met him thru a friend , Vanessa. Doc Bill is her Boss. I volunteered to take pictures of his Cancer Clinic. He specializes in alternative treatment for cancer. I went with him to PGH to visit his patient though I had no Idea why I had to go. I went in the ICU and saw his patient, had cancer in the mouth and he had cured him . Problem was where the cancer was before was now a big hole. You could see the insides of his mouth and he was in terrible pain. I saw Doc bill talk to him egging him on, telling him that they where Iron men or something , they never give up trying to boost his spirit. Well that seemed to workout well for a while then the patient wrote something on the notepad he uses to communicate...then the mood suddenly shifted from upbeat to downright gloomy. I could feel it even though I was standing from a distance. Vanessa was with me and we had no idea what to do. We wanted to crawl out of the ICU. Doc Bill waived at us to go out, a few minutes later he followed. It turns out his patient wrote something like "Why Are you doing this to me" , in anger . Blaming him for his suffering, Doc Bill replied "Because I wont Let you die", that didnt appease the patient though and he just told Doc Bill to get out. I mean what do you say or do to a situation like that. Doc Bill did eventually got the person better a few weeks after. But if day in day out you encounter those kind of situations , this guy was just generally a good guy. He said that he would not give up on his patient even if regular procedures didnt work and even if the patient himself was already mad at him. He told us he wanted to save him because his patient was a real good person, a good father and was worth all the effort to save. Ako sa office, I get emails "David have you sent the latest utilization report?" , this guy deals with really badass heavy stuff. Doc Bill is one of my idols. He really makes a difference .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home