Adventures and Stuff from David

Monday, September 11, 2006

Speed Dating in Makati

Yes I saw it in the movie hitch, I also saw it in the movie the 40yr old virgin, then I saw it in clickthecity.com so I couldnt let this opportunity pass to try something new... Speed Dating.

The event was organized by 6degrees events , an events company who has sponsored quite a few speed dating round already. The fee was P800 inclusive of a modest buffet dinner including drinks. It was held at Sommerset Bldg at the club lounge.

The mechanics: there where 15 guys and 15 girls in the event, all from various age groups and backgrounds. All guys would be sitting in one end of the room , and the girls on the other at the start of the actual speed dating event, each guy would be given 3 minutes to talk to each girl , once the 3 mintues are up a bell would ring and you would have to move to the next girl, for each guy/girl the participant checks on a scoresheet wether he/she would like to get to know the person more or not. At the end of the whole round when each dater has talked to one another , they would submit the scoresheet and the organizers would match each scoresheet. If both of daters checked on "Yes" to one another, the organizers would release the contact info to each dater.

So How did I fair? I at least had 1 match from the 5 or 6 I wanted to date again. I guess Im too rusty or I went about this all wrong.. or baka naman talagang di ako type..siguro minus points na rin ang age ko since 2 lang ata sa chineckan ko ang a little bit above or below ng age range ko then the rest.. 21-23 yrs old. Anyway at least I had one match so di pa naman ako ganon kahina.

Would I recommend the whole schindig to friends..yes definitely , but I dont think its a good idea to come there expecting.. I mean imagine I you ended up with 0 matches..that kinda gonna suck at least ako me 1pt . So if its not your thing to mingle with people or if your the kind of person who doesnt handle rejection or easily gets low self esteem then speed dating is not for you. Dont do it.

But why do I recommend it?, well I consider it as a social exercise .. I mean where else can you practice your socializing skills or get to know a little of something from 15 different people in the span of 45 minutes. As a kid, everytime we would pass by houses while in the car, I would try to peer into their windows , I'm intrigued by the different stories they could tell. Going to various countries or various photo gigs I love knowing the small trivial stories about different people, so getting to speak to 15 different people plus some of the guys I chatted with while waiting was quite fascinating for me. The variety of participants was really good as well, not for dating I guess but for conversation it was. There was a participant who I think was about 40-50 yrs old, when I approached her, I said to myself "dito makikita kung gaano ka kagaling chumika" since she was definitely a completely different social circle, more of my mom's. Well hopefully I held my ground and kept the 3 minutes at least interesting for her. There were lawyers, Cll center supervisors, clerks, a bunch of IT professionals , a fashion designer etc. All with a different story to tell.

I wonder why out of the 5 people I checked , only 1 checked me as well. So this is another good thing that came out of this , it allows you to experiment and check yourself with no long term effects , for me anyway. Aside from age, kasi di ata ako nakapagfocus well enough sa mga nakakausap ko kasi after 1 or 2 conversations parang mechanical na lang dahil sa bilis ng pacing. Plus ang training ko sa office is more with dealing with business clients , not with social functions. Siguro yon nga.. I dont usually join social prties madalas business functions..so sa business functions magaling ako chumika baka ganon ..nadala ko ang chika mode ko for business which is bland and full of small talk sa speed dating. Pwede ko rin lagyan ng twist optimistic twist na baka naman there are or 6 girls na hindi ko chineck pero chineck ako (nax feeling). Baka naman I didnt come as myself as much. nangungulit ako pero indi ang semi barok self ko..indi ang rocker/artist persona ko and more of my work place persona na sabi sa akin ng ex ko dati eh minsan para akong bading. Or baka naman , ang favorite hirit ng mga friends ko, eh..baka naghahanap sila ng matangkad hehehe. So sa mga friend ko na nagbabasa ng blog na to eh comment n alang kayo kung sapalagay nyo eh ano masasuggest nyo para dumami ang points ko sa speed dating.

Would I do it again? Yes, just to see if I would improve or not or baka me makilala na other peeps, plus the stories I get and the variety of people you meet is quite interesting..its something to blog about. Kung medyo tinotopak ako sabi ko nga sa friend ko eh baka next time pwede ako maging not my usual goodie goodie self , baka mas tumaas ang hit rate ko pagganon...parang experiment . Anyway siguro pag naisipan ko bigla uli But it definitely is quite a different experience.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • maybe i should try something like that..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

  • Anyway siguro pag naisipan ko bigla uli But it definitely is quite a different experience.

    By Anonymous Dating, at 4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home