Adventures and Stuff from David

Thursday, June 01, 2006

People I've met: OCW's from around

I grew to appreciate and have a softspot for OCW's because of my travels. I couldn't imagine the hardships they went through to leave the Philippines , and the sacrifices they do in order to not be sent back. And even with the difficulties they face, they still had the heart to welcome me , share a meal , and share fun stories with me.

Sherly in Paris: I met her while goin to church. I rode the bus with her and her 2 cousins. She came from Manila and was financed by her aunts who was working as a DH also in Paris so that she could go there. I was amazed on how hard it was for her to get to Paris. Since getting a Visa from Manila to France was difficult, she had to go to mindanao, catch a boat to malaysia then bus to Singapore so that she could apply for a Visa there. In Sinagapore she had to wait for almost a month to have her tourist visa released. From Singapore she rode a boat to the french riviera then a plane to Paris. This whole process took 9 months to complete. Thats 9 months in transit. When she got there she was jobless for 2 months and was getting handouts from relatives. Last I heard, she has a working visa already and has been able to return to school in Paris.

Mang Ben in Japan - I met him in Chiba, again from church . Chatted with him at the bus stop then I got invited to a Pinoy Party . It was a typical pinoy salosalo tuwing linggo. Families would meet at a house, then they'd bring food..menudo, bbq, kare kare, leche flan. Man! after spending 1month in a hotel eating fastfood , eating kare kare and menudo was heavenly. Mang Ben told me that he didnt have papers to work there. So he was also in hiding although he has been in japan already for almost 10 years. He does odd jobs, working on roads, public fencing, painting etc then he sends 80% of his money to is family in the Philippines . He was able to put up a house in a village in cavite and I can see from his eyes someday he would like to go home and see all the fruits of his work, he seemed really tired.

Tita Betty in LA - Tita betty is one of the kindest persons I've met. She went to the US in the 70's and has gone home every 2 or 3 years. She lives alone in LA as a doctor for the county clinic. She sends a lot of her money to her nephews in the Philippines. She brought us food and even gave us some of the old handbags she bought but never used. She even takes us out in the Malls. Grabe and whenever we go out to eat, even if we plead with her that we should pay..she would not have it and always told us to save our money and just spend it when we get back home with our families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home