Adventures and Stuff from David

Monday, February 12, 2007

Life Mysteries and Wishes

Medyo paserious tong blog ko na to. I helped out a friend last sunday on her event for "Make a wish foundation" . It was suppose to grant the wish of 3 kids, they wished for a Gameboy, Gundam and Dragonball toy, they were stricken with a degenerative muscle disorder(I forgot the name, sinabi sa akin kaso nakalimutan ko talaga) . I learned that it had something to do with the genes and their mother passed this on to them. The sad part was that the same disorder is possibly passed on to all her children and all her female children are possible carriers as well and could pass this on to their children. This family had 10 children.

The 3 celebrants physical condition was startign to deteriorate, the 2 kids aged 10-12 was in wheel chairs while the 3rd one was having difficulty walking already. From what I was told, the 1st kid was just playing basketball , was tired and rested , the next day he couldnt move his legs. Same with the 2nd and 3rd kid. The 3rd kids limps now like he has polio. His other siblings are all happy and active, they all love to play basketball.

The foundation , instead of just giving them the toys, setup this elaborate party complete with a bounce cage, fun games, magic show food and prizes. Hats off to the sponsors and members specially of the Make a wish for the dedication they give.

The whole family was happy, all the kids where playing and having fun. I would peek at the 2 kids in wheelchair and I would see them staring at their other brothers playing basketball. I dont know what they could be thinking but I felt sorry for them even though I tried not to. The whole family was a happy looking family,Father and mother was happy, the father looked like one of those fun joes you meet , the cuddly teddybear kinda dad. Mom was one of those maternal looking moms.. yung nanay na nanay ang dating. Each sibling was always there to helpout their kuyas in the wheelchair. I'm not sure but the parents dont baby the kids in the wheelchair , they let them move by their own if they can or the other brothers would do it for them, maybe its like one of those techniques of making them independent or stronger .. I dont know actually.

The whole even was a success, during the magic act, that was the only time I saw the eldest one smile, he was always shy and had his head down. His eyes was full of sadness , and confidence was simply nowhere to be found. The saddest part of it was that the chances of them dying young was very high. Yup all 3 of them, who had shown signs are high chances of not making it. Their muscles would degenerate until God takes them back. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go through that ordeal, seeing your sons all fall victim(maybe this isnt the proper word) one by one. On Lord of the Rings the king said "A Father should never endure burrying his Son" , this family has 3 kids all possibly (I pray not) not living til 30 and a risk that the other of the 10 kids may follow. I thought, I wonder if the parents have known that it was hereditary yet they still had so many kids? Or maybe it is their belief that Gods will be done . I cannot fathom how complicated the emotions one can feel on having such a fate. Would the mom think of it as a curse or a challenge. How would each child feel knowing that they might be the same as their brother or how did the 3 celebrants feel? Grabe non, when I heard their story, I definitely believed that all the preparations for the party was worthwhile. To give at least a day of happiness for the celebrants was definitely worth all the effort.

I dont know the family very well but from what I Saw and what I was told, they were a happy family, and I guess the happiness and love in each of the member would help ease the pain for the whole family. That the laughter when the family is together would help absorb the tears, I hope the 3 kids still get better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home