Adventures and Stuff from David

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Life Lessons from Francis Kong - True Success

I attended a Manila JC's General Members Meeting yesterday, We had Francis Kong as a speaker. He is a renowned motivational speaker with 12 books published and has been all over the world for speaking engagements.

During the course of his speech he talked about different things that are key to a persons success. And success was not measured on financial success. It was combination of everything, with the spritual fulfillment of a person which truly makes a person successful according to him.

Ang sabi nga nya, persons like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe Daughter of Aristotle Onassis all filthy rich , all committed suicide. So malamang me point nga sya although di ko pa nafeel maging rich or filthy rich so di ako makarelate.

Tapos me nagtanong bigla, during the Q and A portion the last question came out to be the most sensible question, which I found to be very serious , para yun ang "The It" question ng generation ko. Im 29 and a manager for an IT company, he youngest manager in my company and holds one of the biggest accounts. In the JC's group there are others like me , a lot more "successful" and in the same age bracket. Then ayun nga ..the question ..sabi nya Mula bata ako hanggang ngayon I have this image of myself, successful in business , following my dreams, so how can I motivate myself to keep it up kasi parang ngayon successful nanaman ako and nareach ko na dreams ko. Medyo magulo ang paglalaexplain nya plus panay lalaki kami so me mga nanggaasar pa at natatawa. Then Francis answered "I know what you are asking and its a very serious question, thats why I didnt laugh" , then he started to tell his story that from a middle class family he worked hard and dreamt of being a successful Executive at the age of 30, that was his dream . So mula sa pagiging slacker naging A student sya until he graduated and had a high paying job as a manager in company B. Tapos sabi nya, dun daw sya medyo natuliro...kasi nga..ngayon nakuha na nya dream nya... Ano na?

So that hit me like a ton of bricks. I wanted to be like my dad, a manager for a company , a leader and respected by peers. Well I dont know much about respected pero in paper manager ako, so more or less medyo onsite na ang dreams ko.. so now .. Anone? Tuloy ko pa climbing the corporate ladder..so malamang every step I go higher I would ask ..And then what? Is this a worthwhile legacy im investing in? A few months ago I almost died from a car accident, so I asked myself , ano kaya ang legacy ko kung natuluyan ako nung tanginang trak na yon. Paano kung nauso na sa pinas ang eulogy, ano ang masasabi tungkol sa kin. So moving away from angst and back to what francis was saying... he said for him, in his spirituality is where he found his real feeling of success as it really enriched the quality of his life.

Ako , di ko pa syempre matarok ang sinasabi nya, di ko pa ma reach since Im too young , inexperienced at marami pang chickenjoy na kakainin bago ko magets ang sinasabi nya. Pero agree ako sa kanya na fulfillment can never be had with material things..syempre di naman ako plastic gusto ko yumaman, pero I will definitely do my best not to make it my main goal..dapat talaga balance , I should do the things that truly makes me happy and find the things that are really fullfilling. Definitely material things is not the answer. O sha..punta muna ako mall ..makapagshopping.

2 Comments:

  • Meron din akong nabasa kung paano na gu-guage ang pagiging successful ng isang tao. It depends on his or her definition of success, meaning pag sinabi nyang pag may bahay at lupa na ako successful na ako, or yung iba naman pag naka graduate ako ng college eh successful na ako. i agree, its not always money...you can be successful on little things in life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 AM  

  • yeah..I agree..pero ang good follow up question dyan which francis raised during his speach is what if you reach your "success" lets say at age 30.. what then? Siguro back to zero and find something more interesting to do :)

    By Blogger Davidmakulit, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home